Well, I just finished my first day of riding training. Some initial thoughts and impressions:
1. We all tend to focus on what we're NOT doing well, and see everyone else's successes.
2. It's fun to ride together and to go fast.
3. I'm good at turning corners, not good at figuring out how to accelerate in first gear smoothly.
4. Slalom SUCKS, but to do better with it you need to imagine it's a waltz ONE-two-three, ONE-two-three.
5. You need to look LEFT, right, LEFT before you start moving your bike every time you stop.
6. I still don't know my lefts from my rights every time (which leads to confusion when the brake is on the right, and the clutch is on the left).
7. Instructors are brilliant at telling you what you did wrong, even if you did everything right. The first time I got through the cones (only once of two times), without knocking any of them down, I was told to turn off my right turn signal. DOH!!
8. You need to stretch and exercise your hands before you start taking lessons (clutching and braking make you grip WAY more than usual - get one of those stress balls and use them).
9. At the end of the day you will be sore.
10. You will mess up trying to apply a brake - even if you've done it many times before.
11. I carry my stress in my shoulders ( They kept knowing I was anxious about what I was doing because my shoulders were around my ears - and it's BAD to ride stressed).
12. IT IS SO MUCH FUN, when you stop stressing out about it and just ride.
August 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment