So, Brad & I went and saw the Bourne Ultimatum, and it was exactly what I expected. Choppy camera work (as per usual in that series of movies), great action, an interesting plot, and an assassin with amnesia. I got what I wanted, which was a relief, when dealing with a three-quel. Afterwards I had a quick chat with a friend's dad who had seen the same movie. He got me thinking. We talked about all those movies that deal with people who have their minds altered so they become deadly assassins and then they end up deciding not to follow orders anymore... Bourne, Manchurian Candidate, Kill Bill - in fact, the more I think about it, what interest would an assassin movie have if not for them not following orders. They start questioning WHY they need to do these things, they start seeing the faces of the people they kill, whatever it is that throws them over the deep end (now there's an idea, a killer going over the deep end...), SO they stop. My friend's dad said "They keep forgetting that these people have souls". That really hit me. If you view people without thinking of the spiritual elements of their make-up, then when suddenly what they are doing comes up against their spirit, they need to make a choice, BUT most movies won't SAY "oh, it's because in his soul he knows it's wrong". They just think he's gone crazy.
So, in conclusion, in order to truly have control over an assassin, you need to not NEGLECT their soul when you train them, make murder a spiritual experience (as per DaVinci's Code) and they'll be ruthless without feeling ANY twangs of guilt or remorse that may come back to bite you in the butt (that's remorse spelled B-U-L-L-E-T).
August 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
but even then, they might go out of your control, if you cannot justify this particular killing within their matrix of understanding right and wrong. even if you can make killing a spiritual experience, and then say, "God wants you to kill this guy", you're still at risk of the person starting to think on his/her own and saying "why?"
that's why I always use robots when I need somebody assassinated.
What's that movie with Angelina Jolie that came out after this post was already written that DOES make it a spiritual thing? I guess someone's been reading my blog...
Post a Comment