I'm on a journey with photography. I'm trying to get better all the time, but I'm trying to steer clear of 'good'. I'm trying to develop bypass something that is merely good and step into the realm of the unique and expressive. That means that there are 'flaws' in these -- one of the quickest ways to break mental blocks is to arrive at a place where the shots couldn't be achieved any other way. After all, the classic sense of good is just one arrow in the quiver, and not every picture needs to have that as its goal. So I present these latest pics of Aria.
We're at Conference, and she's of course not in the setting she's used to. So we tried a couple of different things to try to settle her (you may infer that she was, uh, unsettled). One attempted technique was to show her a slideshow of pictures I have stored on my media player. It very nearly worked.



But at this particular junction she decided to throw a fit. None of those pictures worked at all. And out of respect for all the sleeping conference attendees, Deb finally relented and picked her up to settle her. That worked in a snap. And while she was being held, I saw the one last shot in the forgotten soother.

Each one of these exposures is maximum ISO (1600 for my camera) and shutter speed is about 1 second. The only light source for these shots is that little media player, and my camera is right on the carpet for all but the second one.
5 comments:
Love the photos Deb. :-)
Insightful!
Mom
Just so you all know - Brad was the one who took these. My job was to keep Aria from being completely ballistic, so the shots could be taken. I'd just like to say that I'm very grateful there are two of us in this relationship - parenting with just one would not only prevent pic's like this, but would probably also prevent a maintenance of sanity!
Babies and conferences always lead to some sticky moments, especially if you are sharing sleeping quarters (and I mean buildings, not just rooms!). Just so you know, it will probably take about a week to get her settled back to normal once again after you get home -- it doesn't come automatically with the familiar location, for her. I had a friend ask me once, "What's wrong with my baby? He's still acting up and it's almost a week since we got back home!" "He's normal," I said. You'll make it! Don't forget to really enjoy the cute moments that make up for the tough ones!
Hi again,
Brad, I just wanted to say I'm really enjoying the soother picture. There's something about the "baby picture without the baby" that strikes a chord. Maybe because the baby is so much a part of the picture even though she's not even in it -- and that's how my life is! Even when the baby is not physically present, she is so much a part of my life. Well, they grow, and already I have a lot more independence than a year ago!
Post a Comment