It's really tough in a play where the parts aren't terribly specific to pick people for roles. Whomever you put in a certain role, that person will add such a flavour in Flowers For Algernon that I could have an entirely different play depending on who gets put where. And when I have a number of strong candidates, and few who REALLY stood out, suddenly things become rather interesting.
SO...my job this year is not enjoyable, and is taking longer than usual as well, which also isn't fun. BUT I think that the PEOPLE I have are good people, and that's going to make for a more enjoyable play than having good actors who are full of themselves or not team players. With the content of the play, they'd better be good people.
Pray for me as I make these decisions. BLAH - the least fun part of my job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You can do it!
I think you should just pick the one best performer and rewrite the script as a one-person show. That would be easier, wouldn't it?
Yes, you're so right, Rob - and of course, school's LOVE it when you do a show that has only one person in it - isn't that the philosophy in most schools? Pick the kid who has the most potential and ignore all the rest of them?
Right?
just as long as it's the principal's daughter.
Post a Comment