My students regularly ask me about the school play - and which one we're doing next year and all of that. I've been promising my students for years that we'd be doing a musical next year, naively thinking that I'd be on maternity leave THIS year (which I'm not). SO. that suddenly leaves my plans for next year up in the air. My hopes and dreams are that I won't be at school, and because of that, it makes it hard for me to tell students to plan for ANYTHING next year, because if they get their hopes up, and then someone else is doing a play - it would be disappointing. As well, I would be a little choked if the one year we get to do a musical is the year I'm not around to be a part of it and do it up properly...
SO, when my students ask about it, I kind of lead them down the road from "I may not be here next year" to the why. Once students put two and two together, they usually don't say anything about the fact that I'm trying to have a kid. EXCEPT yesterday.
I have this WONDERFUL student in my Grade 10 class. I love him to bits, as does everyone, but he's a little young and a little innocent and just wonderful because of it. Everyone in his class can't help but love him as well, but there are times that we laugh at what he says. SO, yesterday in my Grade 10 class kids started asking, and so I told them what I've been telling students, and suddenly this kid comes out with ... "Are You Getting a BABY??". I just LAUGHED and responded IN MY HEAD with... "Why yes, I'm going to the store right after school to pick one out..."
So I told him that I had NOTHING to announce to them, but IF and when I did, I would be sure to announce it. "And when you announce it...will you tell us?" was his next question.
He's so sweet - but it's impossible not to laugh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
yeah, if I announce it, I'll tell you.
and let me know if you don't get this message, OK?
Post a Comment