April 01, 2007

A Symbol of Life

This is it. This is the sum of our current records about a new life. We dream and think and hope based on markings recorded on a plastic stick. I guess it makes sense then that this all seems so virtual. Soon there will be more records, and pictures on websites, and then perhaps doodles on fridges. But for now this is literally all the concrete documentation that lets us know we're expecting. But there are some other noticeable signs.

Like the way I'm being pushed of the bed each night as a result of my wife's unsuccessful quest for a comfortable way to sleep. That's a change. (And then after an entire night of pushing me away she wants to snuggle -- that doesn't work so well for my early-morning brain.) And then there's the way she's hurt, and can't take teasing about it when I bring it up the next day. Sheesh, you think you know a person...

The rule of thumb that I heard at the time was that if you can survive planning a wedding, you're ready for marriage. I gotta say, I'm glad the whole process doesn't start with pregnancy. (And if in your case it did, or will, I really feel for you! You have a special invitation to respond in the comments section.)

1 comment:

Dad said...

So, finally I get to leave a comment.
I just want you guys to know hjow excited i am about "Stretch" joining the family. I think that is a great nickname for your preborn child - will it stick afterwards too?
I've been telling a few people here that I have another grandchild, and they think that Stretch is already born. However, since I believe life begins from the moment God gives it, I consider this child already a precious member of the family.
May god bless the three of you as you learn to live & grow together & to get to know each other. Each life is such a precious gift from God, and his hand will be on your child already, and from now on.
God bless you,
Love,
Dad