April 18, 2009

Deep Thoughts on Parenting.

Aria fell off a couch today while I was in the other room (well, I'm guessing that's why she was crying on the floor beside the couch). After reflecting on that I came to this conclusion.

As a parent, it's not my job to prevent Aria from getting hurt in life, it's my job to be there to hug and take care of her when she does.

4 comments:

Caryn Ouwehand said...

if it makes you feel any better Silas banged his head on the concrete outside our back door this evening.

Ouch.

bradj said...

Poor girl. Was she really hurt, or just surprised? I feel bad about this, but I'm sure that won't be the only time she bails off of stuff. She's such a ridiculous climber.

Another deep thought is that learning sometimes requires bruises. They make for a good reminder. Mine are almost healed though, so it's nearly time to get back on a dirt bike. Kidding, kidding.

Deb said...

She was hurt, but not badly. She's a bit of a suck when it comes to pain to be honest. She is a ridiculous climber, but she's learned how to climb off the couch (and down stairs) this week, so that's a good thing - altough she forgets from time to time - today I caught a head first dive off the couch again.

Rebecca said...

A dive or two off a couch is a great way for a climber to learn caution -- a very important aspect of any climbing. It won't hurt for long, and it will prevent many broken bones later in life! And I wonder about your thought -- is that what God does too? We (I, anyways) sometimes wonder why he lets us get hurt, but maybe he's saying it is his job to be there to hug and take care of us when we are hurt, not to prevent all hurt from happening.