January 26, 2008

Listening to a Heartbeat.

It's amazing to go to a doctor's visit and hear our little one's heartbeat on the Doppler machine. It's a machine that amplifies sounds from inside, so if the baby moves, you not only don't hear the heartbeat, but you can actually hear the sound of the movement! When I talk, Brad says he can hear both me normally, as well as how I sound from inside my belly (that I don't hear, but he says it's kinda funny).

Well, the reason he says it's funny, I'll get to. When we first tried to hear Go-Yi's heartbeat, it couldn't be found (part of the reason we went for our first ultrasound), but as the doctor was trying to find the heartbeat, suddenly we heard this HUGE loud static-y noise - when asked what it was, the doctor told us it was my bowels. Weird.

So, Brad & I became used to not getting to hear Go-Yi's heartbeat due to our baby liking to be difficult - it wasn't something that made me anxious (after the first time) - and we started to joke about it. Well, one day Brad made me laugh while the Doppler was on - I tell you, there's a lot of work that goes into laughter, and don't let anyone tell you different, because suddenly there were these massive noises of muscles contracting and things moving - it sounded LOUD - and only made me laugh more.

This laughing during Doppler has happened now three times or so - twice with my own doctor, but the first time we went to the maternity clinic I wanted to make a good impression, and instead I got the giggles so badly the doctor had to stop (this is when Brad told me he could hear me laugh from the Doppler amplifying it).

I was going to end this post with the sound of Go-Yi's heartbeat, but unfortunately it's not as easy for me to post sound as just cutting and pasting it in, you have to put the sound somewhere first, or something - I'm disappointed, but perhaps Brad can do it one Mission's Fest is over.

Love you all!

No comments: