February 01, 2008
Only 98 Days Left!
It's a little scary to realize that we're into two digits left for my due date! I guess maybe we should look into starting to get stuff for a baby, eh? We got an awesome box from my sister, but somehow I think two onsie's just isn't enough?? There's probably one or two other things we should probably have. Mom's out there - what does someone need to deal with the first few weeks with a baby??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
First of all, it's about stinkin' time you put a belly picture on your blog. You are beautiful! I love the picture - pregnancy suits you well.
One thing I used with Montana the first few weeks were receiving blankets - those smallish flannel blankets. I'm still figuring out what you need for the babes. It seems like half the stuff out there is unnecessary. One thing I have enjoyed though, is a sling because I can carry her around the house and have her close to me and still get a few things done.
Anyway, I'm so excited for you guys. I can't wait to meet your baby!
well i've heard that many experts recommend books are for your child. . . is that helpful?
(I have a running joke with Melissa where I give her the worst parenting advice I possibly can, to balance out all the possibly sound, but definitely unasked-for advice she gets from friends, family, and peoplewhoneverevenhadababy.
I'm not sure what an onsie is so have no comment as to how many you will need.
One thing you will need for a new baby is practice with bathing a squirmy wet little body. You will feel like you are going to let it slip and it will drown. The first bath can be heart stopping. However, Brad survived. He has a pretty strong heart, I guess.
It helps to have some kind of basket, crib or playpen to safely put the baby down in while it sleeps. Other than that, the sling, a sleeper or two, and a few diapers (I recommend at least one pack of Newborn disposables even if you are going to do cloth diapers--you won't have time for that much laundry the first week). As long as you're breastfeeding, new babies aren't very complicated. As they grow, you'll figure out what else you really need and what would help you do what you want to do.
Oh, and an infant carseat so you can take the baby home from the hospital -- don't wait until it's born to think of that. We bought good carseats for our babies once they were into the long-term size, but used second-hand (from reliable friends) for the first infant one. You can buy ones that are convertible (infant--forward-facing--booster seat), which is definitely something to look for if you want to buy the first one.
As for practicing bathing, I recommend you wait until the baby is born for that, or practice on someone else's baby! If you use a little water, a little tub (I used the sink), and a washcloth in the bottom to provide some traction for baby's bottom, it isn't that bad. Make sure the room is warm when the baby comes out, that was my number one cause for crying. Too much information... You'll get it when you get there!
Love!
Post a Comment