Independence...ahhh....independence. It's great - but, it's painful. We all need to develop independence - I see the desperate need for that in kids I teach who are STILL driven to school (they live down the street), who are in Grade 11, in kids who still have a curfew in university, whose parents get to determine their friends in university, who ask their profs when parent teacher interviews are....(that story I "heard", I don't know anyone personally who tried that particular one out).
At the same time, if we have too much independence, it's not healthy either. It can lead to unnecessary isolation from those we need - emotionally, physically, intellectually, spiritually. Finding that balance is something I'm reminded of everytime I'm carrying a baby and five bags & someone offers to help and I say "I've got it". Then in my head I say "I'm a moron, why NOT ask for help? Why not accept that I'm part of a bigger community that's here for me?" It's a challenge to find that line. I don't want to be clingy and needy, but I also need to be in community with friends and others who will take care of me. People have volunteered. People LOVE to help out with babies - and yet I feel alone. And so many moms feel alone. All of us, alone and independent, because we wouldn't want to admit that help is vital, and necessary, and good.
Perhaps we should all take a little break from all our independence.
Except babies. They're allowed to be independent. This post was inspired by one written by my sister-in-law who has a son who's a week older than Aria (not all of you know this story, for those of you who do...I apologize). He's developing independence in spades. Read it here, and you'll see what Aria's been doing these days...only more cautiously (after all, she is Aria).
When Brad got home from Saskatchewan she was so excited she started showing off to him, I'd never seen her do it before, and she seems to only do it when he's around, but she'll spin in circles and go "Wheeeee....Wheeeeee....Wheeeeee...." Oh my goodness, it's so adorable.
Other things that are fun enough to go "Wheee..." :
Driving in the car around corners
Jumping from mom to dad in the pool
Sliding down slides
Throwing balls
Dancing to kids music (thanks again, Bec)
Just...sitting...
Yeah - she's not super picky.
Other things she's doing to show her growing independence / physical development:
Climbing stairs: 75% on her hands and feet, 25% holding on to a railing, on her own (only up so far standing)
walking backwards. We were on our way home from Fernie the first time she did this, she was holding my hand and she tried walking off the sidewalk, and it was a rather steep incline, and so she backed up onto the sidewalk. I thought it was weird, and couldn't figure out why - and suddenly realized that she was walking backward.
Climbing into her stroller on her own...a good indication it's time to get out of the house! Once she fell out when the shade cover gave way on her and she fell backwards...oh well.
Climbing onto our patio from the ground. Dirty, but good to know she can do it.
Falling asleep on her own in her crib.
And so much more, but she's woken up now, so I gotta go.
Deb
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment