March 28, 2009

At This Time Last Year...

Right around 4:00 in the afternoon I was going for my very first ride in an ambulance. After two weekends of bedrest in the hospital in town, a splitting migrane pushed me into a new category of concern for the doctors and I was taken to Women's Hospital in Vancouver. It was interesting to ride in an ambulance, even though the major pain kept it from being TOO interesting. Brad sat at my head and held on to my head & neck - which really helped.

As soon as I got to Women's the first thing they did was give me pain killers for the head ache. Kinda made me wish they'd thought of that at the first hospital at 10 in the morning...but whatever.

Brad didn't even have time to pack a bag for himself (or grab a camera) because neither of us understood exactly how long of a process "inducing" was (from Sunday to Tuesday) - SO he could have taken a bit more time. Instead he rushed to the hospital straight from church right when I called (neither of us...like I said). Which is why the first pictures of Aria are from three days after she was born.

We kept hearing that the baby was doing VERY well, that it was a healthy and happy baby...but MY blood pressure & everything else was doing worse & worse. I'm glad it's over and it's amazing to think that this little girl who can now climb couches was once inside of me and my body wanted her OUT - 6 weeks early.

one more thing I learned during the whole hospital / ambulance thing is that if you read the sides of ambulances, they have different names for different things - Aria & I were transported (my trip, and hers 1 1/2 weeks later) by a paediatric ambulance - only for babies & pregnant women. How about that, eh?? They've got special stuff that's baby & kid sized... cool.

2 comments:

melissa v. said...

So cool! Hard to believe she's already one!! congrats to you guys. xo.
ITT (the pediatric ambulance teams) are a very prestigious and much coveted group of specialists. They take care of sick babies, kids, and moms all around the province and the Yukon. I applied the last time they had a posting just to see how far down the list I was for eligibility....and I was so far down they didn't even publish my name!! lol. They train for a lot of years, very intently, and they participate in tons of research. Uber cool.
I'm glad everyone is okay and healthy today! Woot, woot! Hooray for modern medicine!
xo

bradj said...

This whole experience taught me so much about the value of life. Stuff that I'm still trying to unpack...

Maybe that's what it's all about.