It's been a long journey with Aria and water. She didn't like baths to start, and I didn't like giving them to her. Following a trip to Ontario with a couple traumatic bath time experiences, I knew that we needed to work on this, or our daughter would become someone who was afraid of the water (which isn't really an option). When we got home, we tried her out at a friend's swimming party and this was the result:
Not so great. This had to change. SO, I started taking baths with her, rather than bathing her in her own tiny tub. This, she likes. She feels safe because I'm holding her, and then she can explore things like kicking her feet and splashing her hands.
Today I took her to WC Blair pool for swimming for the first time since the traumatic swimming pool event. Today she was a rock star! She floated in a flotation device all on her own (and tried to eat it - surprise surprise) and when I did some walking laps with her, she loved the movement, and would splash herself & me from time to time with her hands (which would get water in her eyes, and surprise her quite a bit). We were in the water for over 1/2 an hour! I was very proud of her.Getting her dressed afterwards...not so great - but this is definitely something we'll do again!
PS Bathing suit complements of Aria's Grandma. She loves it and was examining it today as we were playing in the water.
1 comment:
Very very cute. She is such a little muffin. From your story we can picture her floating in her little baby-floaty staring down and her swimsuit all intrigued... and that is sooooo cute!
Post a Comment