After spending the last three nights in one, I've come to that conclusion. They're GREAT because you know you're being taken care of, but I missed Brad & I didn't have a whole lot to do - bed rest doesn't allow for much exploring. Also - getting someone bringing you a "well balanced" meal three times a day - not too shabby...some of the food...not so good!
It's also weird being only 33 weeks along and hearing all these little baby cries from the rest of the maternity ward - and just HOPING that I'm NOT going to be dealing with that for a little while (keeping the baby in is a GOOD thing at this point).
For those of you who didn't know (there's only been so many things I've been able to do since getting home), I was admitted for some tests on Thursday afternoon because of high blood pressure & protein in the urine (a sign of high blood pressure) and they did a fetal monitor (baby's FINE) and blood work etc, and then decided to keep me in for 48 hours of observation. Once that was over, I was having pain in the area of my liver, so they decided to keep me in for another 24 hours just to make sure everything was ok. High blood pressure, combined with protein and swollen ankles (and MAN are they swollen) are signs of something called pre-ecclampsia - and that is the precursor to ecclampsia where the mother's body goes toxic for some reason, and the only way to save the mother is to deliver the baby ASAP - so the goal right now is for me to keep my blood pressure down, and to be on bed rest until this baby comes out - and hopefully I'll do that for a number of weeks still. 33 weeks is young to be delivering - there's still lots of growth that needs to happen in a baby. 36 weeks is better, 38 weeks is considered full term. SO...all that to say, I'm not going to Toronto, hospitals are boring, and I'd like to stay out of one for as long as possible, Brad is great (still...always) and now I've got to go lie down and put my feet up.
If you're in the area - meals are wonderful - since I shouldn't be cooking. Visits are also great - as they help stave off boredom, but don't expect a clean house when you come. If you're not - prayers are also wonderful!
Love to all of you!
March 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Luv ya -- through boring hospitals, endless talk of bodily fluids, impromptu doctors' visits and perhaps even parenthood! :-)
Glad you are resting- really missed having you here- students were great! Sue was a great help with breakfast. MaryAnna
hey girl. take care of yourself and baby. so sorry to hear you have to be on bedrest. if i wasn't hundreds of miles away i would bring a meal, but i guess prayers will have to do! we are thinking of you 3!
Thinking of you and praying for you lots.
Do you like tuna?
Post a Comment