I know it's been a long time since my last post - for that I apologize - I'd write you a card BUT...
I am writing today about thank you cards (or just cards in general, I suppose). I have many MANY friends getting married this summer (which is lots of fun), and many of those friends live in the area, which means I get to go to their weddings (also fun) BUT it also means I get to go to lots of showers. Now, I know I put a but in there - that's not to say that I don't enjoy showers (although I will definitely say that some are MUCH more fun than others - but that's another post). I enjoy the showers - and I love giving gifts to people who mean a lot to me, it's fun to bless them with stuff I know they'll enjoy a lot BUT (here it comes) - all these people who I give gifts to have been writing me thank you cards!!
Now, it's not to say I don't like thank you cards. In fact, I love them. I got a great one this week that included the words "pee my pants" which is always a great phrase to get in any card, but receiving cards that are meaningful (not just "Thank you for the pot it was nice" which obviously mean the writer of said card is completely tired of writing thank you cards) and directed just to my relationship with that person is great - but is makes me feel guilty. VERY Guilty...and here's why.
When I got married many moons ago (those moons would be mostly from Brad, although some from the sky), I didn't give out thank you cards for up to ONE YEAR! I started off with good intentions, but got lazy, got frustrated, got Brad to do some (which means I just ended up doing them, MUCH later) and basically didn't get them done. I was putting cards in mailboxes at a work I no longer worked at (and hadn't for MONTHS) for a shower they'd thrown for me two months before I left the job. I got the ones done for our relatives before we saw them a month after the wedding, but once that initial rush was over, we just never did do them. Some people, in fact, have never been given their thank you card - it got to be so late I was just too embarrassed.
I loved the gifts, I cared about the people, but I just couldn't do it on time. Which says something about cards in general. I had my Mother's Day cards two weeks early. When did my mother-in-law get hers mailed to her - a week late (at least I sent it from another province, so the cool factor of that must account for something). Christmas cards this year - not done. Thank you cards from Brad for donations for his trip a year ago - never written. "I think you're great" cards - they just never make it beyond the well thought out plan phase.
SO - I would like to say two things - for those of you who are amazing at sending cards to us. Thank you. I LOVE them, I put them up on my mantle, they mean a lot, and you are INCREDIBLE for putting in the effort to giving them to us.
For those of you who feel you deserve a card from me - my deepest apologies. You may never get one, ever. I thank you from the bottom of my heart HERE for all the things you will ever do for me. And if you REALLY want a card - please leave a comment, and I'll do my best to make sure you get something within the month of when you deserved such a card. You are all wonderful - cards or not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Well now that the DVD is done, I can send out thank you cards with a copy of that for the people that supported my Ukraine trip.
It was only a year ago... :-(
why were you giving pot to your friends?
Why not?! It was nice. ;-)
Rob, I think the bigger question is why haven't I given you pot yet, and what does that say about the level of our relationship?
I'm torn. Either it means that certain herbs and spices don't make it through Korean customs, or that I just haven't had bridal shower yet.
Post a Comment