To my Mother
Thank you for being my mom. Thank you for all of the things you taught me over the 27 years you were a part of my life. You taught me grace in any circumstance. You taught me unconditional love (and were better at it than I am). Mom, I remember your hugs, your love, your willingness to talk about any and everything. You taught me about sacrifice, and the joy that brings. You showed me what it is to be a woman of prayer, and one who had a real relationship with our Father.You showed me trust, and treated me with respect, and allowed me to live my life, without imposing rules on me that could have made me "safer", but kept me from growing. You showed me the value I had in life and told me I was worth it when I wanted to buy that outfit that was mint green and pink with a matching scrunchie (I have since learned I'm worth so much more than that...thank goodness)! You taught me that laughter is important, and family meals, and regular affection, and an open and honest relationship with anyone is more valuable to both of you than any platitudes. You taught me how to be a good mother one day, and were a great Oma to your grandkids, even the ones you won't meet on this earth.
Mom, sometimes I want to call, and I'm reminded you're not here. I think of you when I think of going shopping for my birthday, when I think of going to a play in Vancouver, when I have a counter full of dirty dishes and when I just want a hug.
You taught me what a legacy is - and how it is formed by each moment of each day leading up to the end of your life.
I miss you.
To my Mother-In-Law
I truly love you. You have blessed me with your amazing son. If not for the way you raised him, I would not have such a wonderful husband today. You taught him respect for women, and for all people. You taught him how to listen, how to take notice of the life around him and a genuine heart for the people in his life. You taught him wisdom, and the value of a strong woman in a marriage.You have also taught me. You've taught me that it's necessary to speak up and have an opinion on things. That "if we both thought the same thing all the time, that one of us would be unnecessary". You taught me that respect and love don't mean acquiescing and cooking dinner every night. You taught me that a career is important. That continuing to grow as a woman, as a person, is a lifelong endeavour to be cherished and developed.
I have cherished our morning chats over breakfast, TV and the newspaper. I have appreciated the way you opened your home and shared your Christmas with someone who was "just a friend". I have loved how you have opened your family to me, and allowed me to be part of such a special and wonderful group of people. I love the way you and dad continue to be a blessing in our lives in so many ways.
You have taught me what it is to be strong - not hard, but the strength that is evident even in vulnerable moments.
I love you.
To my Future Stepmother
MaryAnna, I am thankful you have become a part of my life. You are a blessing to my dad, and a joy to share my time with. You are an amazing woman. I appreciate that you never tried to force yourself into a relationship with me that I wasn't willing to have. You simply cared about me, and let me know that. You have a great family - and I'm glad that I'm going to be a part of it. I could not have imagined a woman who will fit so well into my father's life as you are - challenging him, and loving him both. You have gone through a lot, but you refuse to be afraid of the future because of that. You continually open your heart and your home, in a way that is so natural and comfortable.You laugh, you think, you are self sufficient, you are a woman of Faith. You are a blessing to those who know you.
I am glad you will be here in my future. You will not take the place of my mother, but you don't want to. You have simply found a new place in my life, and I like it that you're there.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
I am so thankful to be a part of such an incredible family of women of Noble Character. God has put you all in my life - I don't know why, but I am grateful. I hope I will continue to grow more like each of you, as you reflect God's love to the world, may I learn from all of my mothers' lives.
1 comment:
Dear Daughter,
Thank you for your wonderful reflections on some of the important women in your life. You are one of the important women in my life and I love you very much and value you very highly. God bless you both.
Love,
Dad
Post a Comment