April 03, 2011

Reasoning with a Three-Year-Old

Aria wants to wear a dress to church that encourages people to give us all their old 80's flowered dresses. Their reasoning, "It's not really my kid's style, but I see that Aria likes this type of dress". GREAT - just what I want.

SO...we're working on putting her in really cute clothes for church on Sundays.

Today, she's quite sure that she wants to wear a dress from MY childhood to church - that's right - good old 80's again. So, I told her that if she can give me a good reason (rather than crying), then she could wear her dress. Here's the conversation that ensued:

A: I want to wear my dress.
D: Why?
A: Because I want to.
D: That's not a reason, why do you want to?
A: because
D: That's not a reason
A: Yes it is a reason.
D: No it's not - why do you want to?
A: Because...

and on went the circular conversation.

which ended with:
D: I will let you wear your dress IF you have a good reason, and "because" and "I want to" are not good enough reasons.
A: Ok. I'm going to colour.

And she goes and grabs what she thought was a pen, but was actually a flashlight.

A: This isn't a pen!
D: Nope, it's a flashlight
A: Oh - it's broken.
D: That's right, there's no batteries.
A: Oh, why not?
D: because they're in your camera so you can take pictures.
A: Oh, I want my camera to be broken.
D: No, that wouldn't be good.
A: Yes, it would be good.
D: No, it wouldn't.
A: I want my camera to be broken so my flashlight will be fixed.
D: Oh...well, that's a good reason.
A: THAT'S why I want to wear my dress.

Because of these conversations, she's started leaving the room saying in a sing-songy voice:
A: Bye bye, it was nice to meet you. Have a good REASON!!

4 comments:

Angela said...

This reminds me of countless conversations I've had with Ben...

also, colouring seems to have been a good solution to the problem!

bradj said...

That cracked us both up! Thanks, Angela.

Roboseyo said...

next time I argue with Hyangju, I'll suggest we color together.

Man said...

Children do not have the ability to make reasonable choice, it is a proven biological thing. Only during puberty can they accomplish this task. I can not be taught.

All that said that was an adorable conversation.